Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Beach Volleyball Season!

Today was my first day of my beach volleyball summer league at Ashbridge's Bay in the Beaches of Toronto. I would have never thought to sign up for such a sport...I am more of an individual sport type person: dance, running, yoga...but beach volleyball sounded like so much fun that when my coworkers asked me to join their team, I immediately said yes!
*Sidenote --saying Yes is always harder than saying No, but saying Yes is always more fun :)

Anyways, today was a nice day to start, no rain, clear skies...just a little bit cold though. As soon as my feet touched the sand I could feel them start to freeze! Cold weather is not ideal for volleyball! When the ball hits your bare skin it really hurts!
Today we were a team of 5 out of 7 but we made the most of it. It was quite funny. I am kind of a priss when it comes to sports, watching the ball fly by my face, or dip down in front of my nose "Was I supposed to get that?" were words that often left my mouth. But by the end of the 3 games we had played, I had gotten us a few points and gave a few good bumps and spikes. Not too shabby for someone of my athletic calibre.

It was nice being on the beach, wind blowing in my hair, kites flying by and sand on my feet. To be honest, it's the first time I have felt alive and happy in a while. Maybe it's these winter blahs that had me down and dumpy, but I felt a bit refreshed and excited to be trying something new.

I think also what helped was that I was AWAY from my blackberry! I have developed a love/hate relationship with that thing and to be honest, I think it causes a lot of my anxiety. I feel like I am always waiting on a message/call/BBM. I can't walk anywhere without it. But today, when I left it in my coworker's car for 2 hours, I felt almost free! Sounds weird, I know. But I do believe that the blackberry device makes me anxious. Perhaps I should try leaving my blackberry off for portions of the day and see how my stress levels change. Or maybe get rid of it altogether? Nahhh!!! :P

Well now that my arms are bruised and my hands are swollen, I think I am going to go to bed. I hope everyone is doing just splendid :) :)

xoxox

1 comment:

  1. Interesting to see how you responded to being away from your Blackberry! I've heard that lot in news articles as well. You should for sure try to be away from it more often :)

    ReplyDelete