Thursday, December 31, 2009

Happy New Year...Almost!

It's New Year's Eve 2009. Where has the time gone? It feels like yesterday it was 1999 New Year's with the whole Y2K scare. A lot has happened since then. I feel like the 2000's decade was my time for growing up. I'd like to take a moment to reflect upon a few of the things that happened to me within the past 10 years:

2000
-graduated from grade school
-auditioned and was accepted into a performing arts high school for dance
-got my first pet dog, Calvin
-started high school
-moved away from Brampton to Caledon
-Third row for a Moffatt concert at the Molson Amp. Best show ever.
NYE 2000: Stayed in with my family because we were all paranoid that the world was going to end.

2001
-the year of the terrorist attacks in NYC. I remember being in English class when I found out. For that one moment in my life, I felt very unsafe in the world.
-started a fake band called "Pink Plastic". I was the lead singer.
-got my first ever part-time job at a Guess clothes outlet store
-performed in the school's performance of the Nutcracker where I was a MOUSE
-embarked in my first real high school relationship...that lasted all for one month! (That's a long time in high school time).
-dyed my hair blonde for the first time (a long awaited dream)
-The Moffatts split up and my heart broke.
NYE 2001: Went to dinner with my family and best friend. We then ended up playing pool in the basement and counting down with my little cousins and sister.

2002
-got my G1 after a first failed attempt!
-went through a lot of self discovery...experimented with a lot of different styles and looks
-participated in the Nutcracker again, but this time as a daisy princess and as an Indian dancer
NYE 2002: Spent at Muskoka Sands (now called Taboo resort) with my family and best friend. We had a lot of fun, went for walks in the snow, attended the resort NYE party and watched Dirty Dancing in the room. I also remember I had a crush on the waiter at the hotel. His name was Renee and I remember being embarrassed when my dad told him I thought he was cute. Haha.

2003
-fell in love for the first time
-the year of SARSSTOCK with The Rolling Stones and Justin Timberlake. It was a very big deal.
-SARS pandemic. Everyone was walking around in hospital masks and freaking out.
-finally got my G2 license after failing the first try
-got to meet some of the Moffatts and even give one a hug!
-got a part time job at the Fortino's grocery store as a cashier
NYE 2003: House parties. I remember being with my friends and counting down in the basement. The party then continued at my best friend's house where an even bigger party was happening. I didn't go to bed until 6am.


2004
-graduated from high school and started university
- went to Cancun for Christmas break and felt like I was on MTV's Spring Break
-failed my first ever school assignment. I quickly learned that university was different from high school.
-moved in to my grandmother's house so that I could live closer to school
-joined the school cheerleading squad, events committe and yearbook team
-had my heart broken for the first time
-lost my pet rabbit of 10 year, Buzzy
-got into a little bit of a car accident. luckily i was not hurt.
-Martha Stewart got arrested. Big news!
NYE 2004: In my best friend's basement. Drinking. Partying 18 year olds who still couldn't get into any bars. Another sloppy night for the books.

2005
-lived on campus residence for one semester. One of the best experiences I've ever had.
-became a student ambassador for my univesity
-performed a lyrical duet with my cousin at the university talent show and the Dancers For Cancers charity show
-met my soulmate
-got my G license--first try!
-also got a terrible speeding ticket of 40km over! yikes!
-19th birthday! Enough said!
-worked the most random summer job that involved me going to different golf courses, sitting at a hole and promoting a charity hole game. Kinda fun.
NYE 2005: Honestly one of my best New Year's! Spent in London, Ontario with my best girls. Met a cute boy who walked my intoxicated butt home. I had a pretty pink dress on with my super white blonde hair. I miss that look.


2006
-experienced quite the fright when my dad was in a bad car accident. life is too short to worry about the little things.
-started working in the summer at GO Transit
-World Cup 2006-Italy won and everyone went mental!
NYE 2006: Spent with my boyfriend. We went to a nice dinner and then tried to go skating which didn't end up working out. Snuggled up and stayed in. Perfect night.

2007
-became an on-air volunteer reporter for Dufferin-Peel/Orangeville
-wrote stories for the school newspaper
-got to be an anchor for the school newscast
-visited NYC for the first time. Shopped til I dropped!
NYE 2007: Spent at one of my good friend's place. Pretty low key night with good friends and Dick Clark!

2008
-got my first car (Neon)
-graduated university (degree and diploma)
-started working in the real world
-went to California with my favourite boy
-interned at one of Canada's biggest broadcasting companies and produced stories for TV
NYE 2008: Another quiet night in with my boyfriend and another couple. I think we played video games for half the night and then watched the Canada Jr Hockey game for the other.

2009
-the year of the recession. job hunt was depressing
-finally got a full time position
-went to Vegas for the first time
-lost my dear Calvin :(
-decided to join the rest of the world and got a blackberry
-year of so many deaths. Michael Jackson, Farrah Fawcett, Brittany Murphy, Patrick Swayze.
-met my favourite band
-volunteered for the MMVAs
-participated in the Underwear Affair Walk for Cancers Below the Waist
NYE 2009: Will be spent with friends in Brampton. Beer Pong, Food, and a new wine I haven't tried yet called Lady Bug! :)

CHEERS TO 2010!!! Another decade of fabulous fun! :) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment