Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Got that SPRING in your step?!


Greetings fine friends.

It is with great pleasure to be writing here today. Why? I don't know...there is no particular reason. "Just 'cause". As mentioned in a previous post, I have been reading the book "The Happiness Project", lended to me by my great friend Sio! It's a fun narrative written by Gretchen Rubin, a professional writer with a husband and two kids living in NYC and her quest to being happier. Not that she is depressed or upset with her life. Like most of us (I am being presumptious of all my readers), we live pretty nice lives; we have jobs, we like to go shopping, we have good friends, maybe kids or pets...a pretty fulfilling life, no? In The Happiness Project, Rubin sets out to seek ways in which she can make her life even MORE fulfilling and cheerful in the everyday. Just the simplest things can make a huge difference in the way we perceive ourselves and others.

The Happiness Project is a year long journey where each month Rubin focuses on one goal. For example, January's goal was to "Boost Energy". One of the first things she did in the book to help her feel happier was declutter!! And I must say it does feel good to organize and purge!! She said one of the key aspects to being happier is to first identify your problem!! I think a lot of the time, we know what the problem is, but we find excuses not to solve it. Once you admit to yourself what the trouble is, that is the first step in fixing it. I must admit that cleaning and purging also gives me quite the rush!! My friend is having a clothing swap in a couple weeks and I couldn't be more excited! Today I busted open my closet doors and started ripping down hangers of clothes I barely wear or hardly fit anymore. It felt so good looking at the free space I had made afterwards :)

I am already on month 9 (September) which is about Pursuing a Passion. In this chapter, Rubin promises to write a novel in 30 days. She is inspired by one of her friends who is doing the same thing and learns about video blogging to track her progress. If I could write a novel in 30 days, plus document all of the happenings of the Happiness Project...I would be one tired girl!!

One of the best pieces of advice I read in the book so far was early in the book, in the February chapter, about letting things go and picking your fights wisely. It's so easy to get upset and uptight about the littlest things--an untied shoelace, being stuck in traffic, or squabbling with a loved one. But sometimes it's best to just let it go. Is the minor setback or tiff really worth such a fuss? I think not! :)

So with Spring around the corner...oh wait...it's already here!! Obviously it doesn't feel like it with these cool temperatures and SNOW on the way for tomorrow :( But I think the weekend is looking good...and that gives me something to be happy about!! And I am also seeing Wizard of Oz at the Rose Theatre in Brampton on Friday night with Sio!! I am very excited as Wizard of Oz is probably one of my favourite movies of all time! And isn't it a coincidence that Rubin likes that movie as well!? I mean what's not to like?? It's simply classic!! I will give you my review on the show in my next post!!

Au revoir for now mes amis! :)

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you are enjoying The Happiness Project!

    After reading this post I realised that I sub-consciously use these tips on a daily basis. Like, figuring out the problem. I always analyze problems now so that I can fix them. Your attitude is key. And picking fights. I always ask myself, "is it worth it and is fighting about it goign to make it better?" The answer is usually not.

    I can't wait to see you on Friday-- you ball of sunshine!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, I kind of already practice some of her tips, but I think after reading, it has made me more aware of it!!
    So stoked to go to Emerald City with you!! hahaha

    ReplyDelete