Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Back on My Toes

Well it's been a while since I have performed in any type of dance recital...probably since high school. It's hard being an adult dancer and getting the opportunity to perform, so I was ecstatic when back in September my friend Jackie invited me to dance with the National Ballet School's adult ballet class for their Nuit Blanche performance in October.

The piece for Nuit Blanche was a Waltz of the Flowers with about 60 of us adult dancers, it was a really interesting experience to have so many of us perform a 5 minute piece in a month's worth of practice. It was exciting to have an audience come watch me dance again, because it has for sure been a while.

And now, 2 months later, we are back again rehearsing the piece for one of the Eaton Center's Christmas shows happening on December 16th. Tonight was the first of 5 rehearsals we have for the show. I arrived extra early, slapped on my slippers and hit the floor.There weren't as many people at the first practice, maybe around 12 of us (hopefully more will be joining us on Sunday). It was amazing to see how much we could remember of the dance after 2 months. In the hour and half we had gotten through the whole piece. I guess it's true what they say that muscles do have memory!

This time around is going to be a bit of a challenge choreographically as we will be performing in the middle of the mall where there is currently renovations happening! We will have to make sure not to waltz into some drywall. :) Once we figure out spacing I think it will look great and give a sort of flash mob kind of effect to the shoppers!

I think they will like it...who doesn't love a little Nutcracker ballet while Christmas shopping? :)
I will update more on Sunday after rehearsal and hopefully get some pics up! Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. AHHHHHHH!!!! I wanna seee you nutcracker! Can't wait to keep reading all your updates!

    ReplyDelete