Thursday, December 16, 2010

Let it Snow for the Show!

Well I've come to my final post for the 2010 Christmas Dance at the Eaton Centre. If I could describe the performance in one word I would say it was magical!
Before the show, I had a few hours to kill so I roamed around the mall and checking out the scene. And as I predicted on Monday, the place was packed. Christmas shoppers scattered everywhere rushing to all the sales, promotions and giveaways going on. I must admit I was getting pretty nervous.
To relax a bit, I ate some dinner and sat on the bench going through the dance in my head. It was going to be a straight shooter...no practice run or anything, so I wanted to visualize everything in my mind beforehand.
About 20 minutes before showtime everyone met up to change and grab the flowers (I picked a nice purple one) and we headed down to our "stage" area. Once we got downstairs, a huge sea of shoppers were planted around the tree. I quickly panicked wondering how on earth we were going to dance through all of the people, but thankfully security helped clear the crowd our of our dance space. And then the tree lights lit up, the hall dimmed and we were on!

It was amazing to see the huge crowd wathching. I love having a big audience! Surprisingly, I get less nervous with a big crowd, this way I don't really notice individual eyeballs staring directly at me.

Once the music started, I felt good. We had done this dance so many times, I knew we were going to rock it! That's when I noticed snow falling from the ceiling! It was so beautiful and gave such an elegant and picturesque look to the whole dance. I couldn't help but smile. As we danced, I noticed the crowd watching intently and smiling with us. There were lots of people which kind of cramped our space a little bit, but we all managed to work around it, taking smaller steps here and there. Overall we danced through it gracefully. For some reason it felt like I had been dancing for 20 minutes instead of 5! I think I got a little anxious once I spoted my friends in the corner watching and taking pictures.

Once the performance was over, we got a great big round of applause as we did our bows and scurried off stage. The shoppers seemed really delighted and that's what made me the most happy. One man even thanked me which was really sweet. I love how dance can provoke all sorts of emotions and can captivate almost anyone.

And so folks, that is the end. This was yet another wonderful experience with the National Ballet School Adult Class. Hopefully there will be more to come in the spring time.
Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment