Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Home for the Holladayz

I'm bacckkk!! Back from Cuba that is. I was gone from the 18th to the 25th (yes I spent my Xmas day travelling on a bus, plane and taxi cab) and just finished celebrating my belated Xmas with family. These past 2 weeks seemed to just fly by, but while I was in Cuba, time seemed to be moving slower than usual. I believe it's because I did not have access to my blackberry, so I felt like I had no sense of time or responsibility, it actually made me feel more anxious than anything, which is terrible! How sad is it that I can't even relax without clutching to my blackberry and checking my messages every 5 minutes? Something is definately wrong with that picture, and I am positive it's not just me that feels this way.Our whole society in general is hooked on these technological mind-numbing gadgets, but this isn't new, this was just the first time I was able to see firsthand how much of an addict I am. Thanks Cuba!

But besides my withdrawls from the outside world, I would say overall I had a good time. The beach and poolside were beautiful. The resort staff was just lovely and I got to really bond with my family. It made me sad to see the poor Cuban people working so hard for us, cleaning, cooking, entertaining, yet they never expected a tip. I felt so uncomfortable being waited on and treated like a queen. While we were on the beach, we overheard that lifeguards make 10 pesos per week!! Per week people!! That is probably equivalent to 15 dollars a week. I couldn't believe it, but then I looked at how much they love life and seem so happy. At first I didn't understand how they could make so little and be so content, but then I figured they probably don't even realize what they are missing because they don't have luxuries like we do in North America. These people probably don't care about facebook updates, or obtaining the latest Iphone, because their culture doesn't care for it. I wonder how much happier our society would be if we made life a bit simpler by toning down technology use, limiting our beauty and spa appointments, owning less "stuff". Could simplicity be the answer to finding true happiness? I am starting to believe it to be true.

Speaking of simple living, I have decided to spend the rest of my holidays at home with my parents in the country. There's nothing better han coming home to family, my dog, and curling up on the couch by the fire and reading a nice book. I will have to wake up a little earlier the next few days to take the GO train into Toronto, but it's worth it.

New Year's Eve is on Friday and I still have no plans. I don't care much for NYE, I find it overrated, crowded and a rip off. I would rather stay in with my loved one and go out for a nice dinner instead. Crowded clubs? No thanks! But to each his own, and I wish everyone the best in 2011!

1 comment:

  1. Life really is so much easier without technology!.. sometimes. ha!
    I should lend you "The Happiness Project" by Gretchen Rubin. I think you would really like it.

    ReplyDelete