Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Paranoid Android

Oh happy Tuesday! Hurray for 4 day work weeks.
Yesterday was Family Day but I didn't do much with the fam. Shannon, Eric and I went out for dinner at Moxie's and we are like our own little family I like to think :)
The work day flew by as I was very busy since I was off on vacation last week. I like being busy, it keeps my mind off other things...like worrying! As most of you know I am a big worrier. I worry about the little things and over analyze everything. I am probably what you would call paranoid. What do I worry about mostly? I would have to say health and safety. I always think something bad is going to happen or chatastrophe strikes everytime I go to the doctor's office.
A good example of this unnecessary paranoia was today during my french class when I got a phone call from my doctor's office about my blood and urine sample from last week.
They simple requested I come and redo the urine test but failed to explain why. And what do you think my mind is thinking at this point: I have a disease. I am uncurable. I am going to die. To be honest I am still a little worried.

I am currently reading a book about worry and how to control it, it is called The Worry Cure.
I am almost half way in and it has some good insights. It explains how worriers always assume the worst case scenario possible as a method to try and prevent things from happening. Sounds kind of messed up doesn't it? But as I read more and more, I realize how much I relate.
Worriers always need to be certain about things. If they are not certain, then they worry until they are 100% positive everything will be okay. They see negative outcomes as the only possible outcome and reject any possible answers except for negative ones.
So after the call from the doctor I thought about it and figured I was worrying just the way the book had described. There is always a possibility that something is wrong with me, but there is also a possibility something is not. It is possible the sample was not good enough or not large enough. But my mind will not accept those possibilities because they are positive or neutral. I will only accept the worst and most negative answer. And that way I can find ways to prepare for devastation, fear and pain.
So I have decided to write about my worry as a way to help me try to control it. This way, when I read it outloud I can actually see how unreasonable I am being and not jump to any conclusions without getting hard facts.
So for those of you for reading, thanks for being a source of help. It means more than you know.

1 comment: