Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Goodlife Fitness--The McDonald's of Gyms

So I've been a member of Goodlife Fitness for the past 6 months now and I must admit it is quite convenient. There are clubs everywhere I go, so there is really no excuse for me not to work out. The location I use most is the one across the street from my work, I go there on my lunch hour almost everyday and I feel like it has now become part of my regular routine. If I skip the gym for one day I feel guilty and upset with myself. I like that I can incorporate fitness into my life because Goodlife makes it nearly impossible for me to make excuses about location or hours.

While I have a lot of good things to say about this gym, I only have one complaint and that is that each of their classes is exactly the same at every location! Same music, same moves, same types of teachers. It is like the McDonald's of gyms....it's always the same no matter where you go. So far I have done classes at three different locations: Toronto, Georgetown and North York and not one was any different than the other. Personally, I like going to any type of class where I can experience something new and make a connection with the teacher. But it seems like each instructor is so robotic that almost anyone can teach these classes. It also bothers me that the classes barely use any equipment i.e. yoga balls, light weights, steps, stretch bands. I feel like for the majority of their classes are moves you could do in your own basement on a video DVD.

Today I tried a BodyFlow class which was really good. It was a combo of Tai Chi, Yoga and Pilates. However, the whole time we just stayed on a mat. I think it would be more beneficial to use a type of stability ball or light weight in that type of class, but I don't understand why they don't do this. Yesterday I did the Body Attack class and all we did was run around the room non stop for an hour. It was just boring. If people want people to enjoy fitness programs, they need to make them a little more fun.

I love Goodlife Fitness for the most part, but that is just my one and only criticism.
As Body Break would always say "Keep Fit and Have Fun!"

No comments:

Post a Comment